Tuesday 23 May 2017

The Outsiders


by S.E. Hinton

I first read this book in an airport, waiting for a delayed flight home. I was enjoying being in a bookstore with a selection of books that were in English, and I remembered my university roommate and best friend insisting that I should read this book. I picked up The Outsiders, fumbled my way through American money (much harder than I was expecting it to be, considering I grew up using it), and then sat down to read it. I finished it before I even boarded the flight. 

This book is one of my favourites. The writing is simple - the narrator dedicates the first chapter to giving a detailed physical and personal description of each of the characters - but as you continue reading, it just works. Ponyboy Curtis, and yes, that's his real name, thank you very much, is the kind of character that appeals to his audience, no matter who he's addressing (even if you're not a greaser!). The story becomes unexpectedly deep and emotional, and even on this rereading, I found myself crying as I reached the end of the book. 

I could reread this over and over again and still enjoy it, and this is one of the books that is on my "recommend to literally everyone you meet" list. I thought about ending my part of this blog with a "Stay gold, Ponyboy," but to me that line deserves more than to be used as a tag to the novel - it's so much bigger than that. So instead, I'll just say, do yourself a favor and pick up this book if you haven't. It's beautiful.
-Cat

This is a book I had never read until now. It's not a title that I was ever introduced to, and honestly, I have only been vaguely aware of its existence. When I taught in Alaska I was forced to use Scholastic's "READ 180" program with my 8th-grade students. It was a hot mess, let me tell you, but I had several copies of The Outsiders on hand as a result. Most of my students read far below grade level (2nd or 3rd grade was the norm), but one girl asked to borrow The Outsiders. I was thrilled that anyone would want to borrow from the classroom library, so I sent her off with one of the books. She not only finished it, she enjoyed it! That got me thinking I should probably read it at some point.

As a huge fan of the movie Stand By Me, I don't know how I managed to stay in the dark about this one for so freaking long. This is an excellent story that I would have loved when I was younger! That phrase is almost a recurring theme for me this year, isn't it? I'm glad I finally read it. Ponyboy's story is troubled, heartwarming, and bittersweet. I was moved by several scenes in the story. Next time I hand this book to a student, I'll be able to share her enjoyment! Next time I read this (and there will be a next time), I'll be moved again. Until then, I just hope I can "stay gold."
--Mikie

No comments:

Post a Comment