Saturday 21 January 2017

Six of Crows



Six of Crows, by Leigh Bardugo

Six of Crows is amazing. Genuinely and truly amazing. I have enjoyed every moment of this book. It's a heist novel, set in a brilliant new world, filled with magic and adventure. The characters, in Leigh Bardugo's own words:
A convict with a thirst for revenge
A sharpshooter who can't walk away from a wager
A runaway with a privileged past
A spy known as the Wraith
A Heartrender using her magic to survive the slums
A thief with a gift for unlikely escapes
 

feel real and relatable.  They've each got their own reasons to be a part of Kaz Brekker's crew and involved in the heist, but they don't all like each other. Somehow, though, the fate of the world is relying on them...

I thought I'd end the novel able to say who my favourite character was, and why - but I grew so fond of all of them, that I couldn't pick. The story is written so well that every revelation about the characters makes you more fond of them, and they come at exactly the right moments. 

Mikie and I enjoyed the book so much that we're postponing our next book (Soon I Will Be Invincible by Austin Grossman) in order to read the second book in the sequel, Crooked Kingdom! 
-Cat

FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC! Oh, now I definitely feel like I'm off on the right foot for this #52BooksIn52Weeks challenge. "Six of Crows" does so many things right: world building, character development, storytelling. The blending of fantasy tropes with elements usually not a part of fantasy (firearms, neckties) creates a world which is both familiar and fresh. After reading a quarter of the book I knew I'd want to read its sequel, and now that I've finished it I'm looking forward to reading The Grisha Trilogy at some point down the road.
-Mikie

No comments:

Post a Comment